Bubbzilla

Bubbzilla

Monday, September 14, 2009

Sad News

When we created the blog a few weeks ago it was to allow our group to share rides and good times on the bikes and with our fellow riders. We never gave a thought that we would have a need to use it to convey anything else.

I think that we are all in shock as we heard the news that one of our bike night regulars David Ryan lost his life in a motorcycling accident this last weekend in Wisconsin.

At times like this I often come back to a poem called “Parable of Immortality” by Henry Van Dyke.

I am standing upon the seashore. A ship at my side spreads her white sails to the morning breeze and starts for the blue ocean. She is an object of beauty and strength, and I stand and watch until at last she hangs like a speck of white cloud just where the sea and sky come down to mingle with each other. Then someone at my side says, "There she goes!"

Gone where? Gone from my sight ... that is all. She is just as large in mast and hull and spar as she was when she left my side and just as able to bear her load of living freight to the place of destination. Her diminished size is in me, not in her. And just at the moment when someone at my side says, "There she goes!” there are other eyes watching her coming and other voices ready to take up the glad shout, "Here she comes!"


While the original is about a ship I think it applies to our thoughts as we have lost someone we have known.

In the back of our minds we all know that the riding we love to do is very dangerous but we do it because of the feeling it gives us and probably more importantly because of the wonderful people we meet. David was definitely great company at our events and rides. All of our prayers go out to David’s wife and his two children at this difficult time.

As anyone gets information on funeral arrangements or memorials please click on the comments button below and leave a comment or contact me and I will update the post. Everyone please be safe.

Update: The funeral arrangements are posted below in the comments

6 comments:

  1. We will all miss David very much. He was a great friend. I will remember our last ride together fondly. My thoughts go out to his family. This is a terrible loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As some of you may know, I was perhaps the first one to find out. I had just gotten back from riding Sugar Bottom at around 12:00 at night. I was thinking about David when I got home, as he was the first person to show Sugar Bottom. I remember thinking how cool it would be to show him how my riding has improved and the work I've done to my Triumph.

    When I got back to my room, I went on Chicagolandsportbikes.com, for info about the F4T. I saw a thread titled "the the FLAT4 group had accidents today and we lost a rider :("

    Once I read part of the thread, it hit me like a ton of bricks ... Crankbass died at the scene. I didn't know if it was him but as the comments progressed I surmised it was him. And that's when I contacted a few of you. On Sunday I contacted the moderator of the site and he confirmed, as well as gave me the details of the incident. I can explain what happened if anyone needs me to but I'd rather not on this blog.



    I was also contacted this morning by a guy from Moto-Angels -




    "Hey JR, Timmay from the Moto-Angels. As you may know, we were one of the two sponsored charities of this ride, and it's tragic that this happened.

    I was on this tour also, riding with Justin's group. I've spoken with Ken and Justin, and we want to make sure that we do everything we can for David's family. This is after all, sadly and fortunately, why we exist.

    Please give me a call so I can work with you to see what we can do to help David's wife and children. My number is 630-235-0452

    I look forward to speaking with you.

    ~ Timmay
    Moto-Angels"

    So if you guys hear anything please let me know and I will contact Tim. They are a very good charity and he is very interested in helping the family in anyway he, and his charity can.

    -Jacob Robbins

    ReplyDelete
  3. Godspeed David.

    I will pray for his wife and children. It just seems like a few weeks ago we meet them at Alan's house and my kids played with his.

    David was one of those guys that was immediately likeable, and lived life to the fullest.

    Chad

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter is on the West High Scholl mailing list so she forwarded this to me.

    Theresa Juhl has asked me to share the following funeral arrangements for her husband, David.

    The visitation and memorial service will be on Wednesday from 4-8pm (memorial service starting at 7:30pm). Both will be held at the address below.

    GOETTSCH-PERRIN FUNERAL HOME
    410 JOHNSTON ST
    Gladbrook, IA 50635-9302
    Ph#: 641-473-2282


    http://www.fsnfuneralhomes.com/funeral-home-flowers/42029

    The Funeral service will be on Thursday at 11a.m. with lunch to follow. The service will be at Peace United Church of Christ in Gladbrook.

    Peace United Church of Christ
    201 W Johnston St
    Gladbrook, IA 50635-9330
    Ph#: (641) 473-2802

    If anyone is interested in sending flowers, I have been told that it is easier by calling your local Hy-Vee and placing the order through them. They in turn will transfer the order to the Marshalltown Hy-Vee and have the flowers delivered to the Funeral home.

    The family currently does not have a memorial fund or charity established for donations; but if any memorial donation is sent to the family, it will be placed in a fund for their children’s (Rosemary and Boone) education.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here is a link to the funeral home

    http://www.purseldavis.com/runtime.php?SiteId=11990&NavigatorId=89765

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dave was a really awesome guy, super nice to everyone, a good rider, and a father of two. The last time I talked with or saw him was 3-4 weeks ago. Just the two of us stayed late after bike night and talked about life, love, and of course motorcycles. Then well after dark we went for a quick ride threw some twisties and then waved good bye at a stop sign and went our seperate ways. That was the last time I saw him.

    My prayers will go out to his wife and children and I know that he will be missed.

    R.I.P. David Ryan

    ReplyDelete